Friday, January 07, 2011

into the great wide open

Having spent four years anchored under the canopy of friends, freedom and the steady backdrop of home, I think all of us were a little unsure of our place in the world post-college. It wasn't so much as finding jobs or courses as it was about feeling uprooted and walking around trying to fix ourselves in new soil. It fascinates me that what seemed like such a large and complex world was hardly a pixel compared to what we see stepping out, and it makes me sad to think that all of us will never be in the same place at the same time and under the same circumstances again.

I remember vividly conversations that I now know all ten thousand of us had at some point - conversations about love and relationships, about drawing lines and erasing some, about searching, finding and losing. I remember conversations about being and meaning, about purpose and ambition, about giving and owing, and about defining and belonging - when belonging was the last thing we had to worry about.

3 comments:

Shankar said...

'it makes me sad to think that all of us will never be in the same place at the same time and under the same circumstances again.'

But that's how it always is :) - I hope your plans on coming here is going well.

Mohit said...

I'll be stepping out in another six months you know...this is what I imagine the world to be, in theory....but in practice, I know that I'll be shocked, no matter how much I prepare for it

Punkster said...

The pastures of the past, and the grass on the other side, always look green.