Friday, November 18, 2016

the birthday post - 29

This year, I faced an overwhelming amount of change. 
All those annoying quotes about change being constant are starting to make sense now.
I've redefined the meaning of home. 
I've found that you can be rooted even if you're transplanted. 

India is home. 
Well, so the redefinition hasn't helped all that much. 
Much as I romanticize the idea of a nomadic life, for me, home is always one place. A steady, strong presence that's waiting for me as much as I'm looking forward to it. 
Home is the place I can make a cup of coffee or tea to my preference, put my feet up, and sing as I wash the dishes. 

There are many different kinds of people in the world. 
Everywhere, people are the same. 

Emotional attachment can wreck you. 
Letting go is freedom. 
But I think the ones who get attached are the ones are lucky to have experienced it. 
Because too many of us are unfeeling. 
Or maybe we become like that eventually. 

Falling in love can be hard on the heart.  
There's joy in losing your senses... for some time. 

You could either go crazy or choose to be Comfortably Numb. 
Either way, you might get Marooned. 
And then you'd have to Run Like Hell. 
From the two constantly haunting problems – Money and Time. 
Very soon, we'll all be Lunatics on the Grass. 
But there's no harm in having High Hopes... 

Gosh, I've got to stop this now. 
Or else I'll Keep Talking. 

Not everything you do should have some grand motive. 
We should all do a great many things just for jolly. 
I want to grow lots of plants. They make the best decor, no? 

I hardly ever doodle... but don't tell anyone that. 
I can't work without to-do lists. 
I can't live without coffee. 
I mean, of course I can. When you really think about it, our actual needs are very less... I'm slowly leaning towards a more minimalistic lifestyle. 
Slowly. 

Interesting stuff I heard this year: 
"Don't be stupid." – when I told a friend I was homesick and wanted to move back to India. 
"Never be afraid of anything." – the better, unafraid half. 
"This is ghor kalyug." – Amma after Trump's win. 
"Put that machine away! It's very dangerous. We were better off when we didn't have those." – an elderly gentleman sitting next to me at the hospital, referring to my mobile. 

I made a fuss when my mother wanted to send me 100 kgs of stuff from India. 
But I had the most delightful time unpacking all the goodies. 
Family = full glowing happies. 

I love long, long walks. 
I'm a terrible swimmer – but I love swimming. 
It's the only sport I ever liked this much. 
It's a great reminder that you've got to keep your head above the water. Periodically, at least. 

The world is incredibly unpredictable and we're all living in our own little bubbles. 
2016 has been a shocker. 

An ideal way to spend my birthday would be to delete the 2000 unread emails and 3000 drafts in my inbox. 
I've drawn about 400 comics so far. 
I will draw and write for the rest of my life. 

It seems the aim of everyone in the UK is to live in a sprawling home in the countryside, with sheep for company. 
I would feel really isolated in that situation. 

We've all got to take it easy. 
Slow down, you crazy child, he said. Why don't people take the advice of these great musicians? 

Age is just a number. 
And a wrinkle here, a double chin there. 
We underestimate the importance of a good slumber. 
Five years ago, I would've said sleep is distracting me from all the wonderful things I've got to see and do. 
Now, I feel those wonderful things can wait till next morning. 
The world doesn't end overnight. Really. 
Try dropping off the radar for a while. When you come back, in all likelihood, things will be the same. 

I've rid myself of FOMO. 
Try it people. Do away with all these weird acronyms and you'll be happy AF. 

I always used to think that one's got to prepare for the worst...
But I've learnt to trust that nothing will go wrong. 
It's easier to believe that anyway.  
Confidence is your best weapon. 

A friend of mine always used to say, "So what? It's okay. You'll survive." 
I used to get offended back then. 
Now I understand what it means. 

The most important thing in life is life itself. 
That in itself calls for a huge celebration. 

Here's to another year of madness. 

No comments: